7.26.2006

slow-cooked bacon

Yes! I am alive! I have stories, I've just been too lazy to blog them. I'll gradually reacclimatize you to my blog with a Random Anecdote. A long post might shock your system too much. Like jumping into ice water. Or something.

Anyway.

This morning I was driving to work on 94 when all of a sudden traffic got really, really slow. Turned out there was a state trooper going well under the speed limit, and by God, if he was going to go that slow then so was everybody else. Every time someone started to inch past him, he would scoot over into their lane to block them and flash his lights for a second, then go back to his own lane. Eventually, to avoid the wrath of the power-tripping trooper, everyone got into the middle lane behind him and paraded slowly down 94. The cop changed lanes; everyone behind him went with him. We all drove sedately down the interstate behind him until he got off at my exit and went to a gas station. Perhaps he was almost empty and had heard that 55mph is the most gas-efficient speed. Or perhaps he just thought he was really friggin' funny.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen cops do approximately that out here in CA, weaving back and forth across all lanes with their lights on to make sure nobody passes. Apparently it has something to do with creating big gaps in traffic patterns, which somehow prevents traffic jams.

7/26/2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Two things:

Regarding your finally posting again (I've been in Annie withdrawal): It's about flippin' time!

Regarding the parade down 94: Someone definitely has power issues and needs therapy. Maybe exerting said power through police-issued weapons is next. Or maybe I've seen too many movies..

7/26/2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Anon, that would make sense in a place that was prone to traffic jams, but I was well on my way to Woodbury (an outer ring suburb, almost in Wisconsin) where there isn't that much traffic anyway and what traffic is there is headed the other way, toward downtown. The dude needs therapy. Or a different job.

7/26/2006 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not to prevent traffic jams. When they do that here in L.A. it's to create a gap in the traffic. Usually this is so they can clear a wreck on the center divider or something like that.

7/27/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Bobster said...

Thanks for posting again remember some of us ride in races vicoriously through your posts. Dodger has given up on his blog so I thought there goes another person I love to read. Caloi has been keeping his up and I've been enjoying his, but missing yours. Thanks for your thoughts! BTW I hope Landis does get a false positive with his B sample. My wife goes, "why would somebody do that knowing they will be tested and now believes the French are just upset and out to get Americans that succeed in the tour?!" There does seem to be a pattern emerging.
And another thing...what do you do when your favorite bike shop keeps your bike for over three weeks over a waranty issue with Shimano? I'm sick and tired of riding my pos fixie and have almost totally trashed my MTB. Frustrated!!!

7/28/2006 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home