5.10.2006

yawn

Race Report: Opus #4, May 9, 2006


Well, you all saw my last post. Some days you just don't feel like racing, especially right after work, but once you've made enough plans you can't really back out. My teammate Maria met me at my house at 4:45, and as soon as I saw her I said "Man, Maria, I do not feel like racing tonight." She laughed and said "I was just thinking the same thing." But there we were, so we headed out.

Then we rode over to the parking lot of Punch Pizza to meet the other girls. We were the first two there. Each time another person arrived, she said "Man, you guys, I do not feel like racing tonight." Every single one of them.

Then it started raining. We all ducked into a loading dock to stay dry while waiting to see if anyone else would show, and while we were standing there we seriously discussed skipping the race entirely. Ultimately, though, we ended up going. Hence this race report.

17 women showed up for the women's open race, six of which were in blue. We actually had seven there but Catie is a stud and raced with the men instead. It had stopped raining by the time we arrived, and the sun had come out, and it was actually a pretty nice evening for a race. And no geese. Whew.

Overall the race was pretty uneventful. The same people got all the points that always get all the points, but no breaks escaped and except for the usual assortment of riders getting shelled off the back, the pack stayed together. I continued to be unenthused about it for pretty much the whole race and even considered quitting after only a few laps, because even though I was in the MIDDLE OF A RACE, I still felt like taking a nap. But the whole thing is only twelve laps, so I sucked it up and stuck it out and even managed to get fifth in the final sprint. Now if only the points went five deep... but at least I got my "first cat 4 across the line" title back. Whatever that's worth.


(This BLUE TRAIN picture would be a lot cooler if my tongue was in my mouth.)

(There are many more excellent pictures, some more flattering than others, at SkinnySki. Check 'em out.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that, though a lot of this bike race talk is odd to me (I am SO bike-stupid...you'll have to explain it all to me at our secret rendezvous), I've been reading your blog -- because I love you just that much. Oh, yeah, and because I'm unemployed at the moment... ;) oh, and of course cause you look hot in your little blue biker outfit.

5/11/2006 7:36 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Leshia dearest, you know I love you, but my other readers now think I have a creepy stalker. An unemployed spandex stalker who talks about "secret rendezvous." It's a good thing I know you're harmless....

5/11/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Christopher Smith said...

I forgot to say hello last Tuesday night as you guys met in the same parking lot to leave for the race as we met for our ride.

BTW, you look a lot faster in the Birchwood blue than you did in the GP kit. That picture at the top of the post is fantastic.

5/11/2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger annie said...

That is two weeks in a row that we've been within 10 feet of each other and not said hi. How very antisocial.

And thanks, I think... although it's not just the kit, I was pretty slow last year and I don't think blue spandex would have helped me THAT much. But we do all look pretty snazzy in the blue.

5/11/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Christopher Smith said...

That is two weeks in a row that we've been within 10 feet of each other and not said hi.

sheesh!

5/11/2006 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home