4.04.2006

boop boop a doop


So Bella S has posted her race reports from this weekend, and in the same way that I called all the Velo Bella girls Bella P, Bella S, etcetera, she's now calling all the Birchwood gals Betty A (that's me), Betty G (Gilby), etcetera. The problem with being the Birchwood Bettys (which the women's team does call themselves) is, well, see above. The other problem is that at least half our team has names starting with A. This could get messy. Bella S uses her real name (Sarah) on her own blog, so I'll just go with that until I hear otherwise from her, but if you race and you read this blog, this is your notice that you need to make up a snappy pseudonym for yourself and tell me ASAP. Or give me permission to use your actual first name, since when I told Alix to make up a snappy pseudonym she said "what, Alix isn't a good enough name for you?"

Moving on. In other news, Gilby gave me her cold, so all my plans to learn how to sprint in the next two weeks may be shot. I started to get a sore throat on Friday, then woke up with a horrible mucusy sore throat on Saturday, but apparently the virus feared my wrath because it waited until Sunday afternoon after all the racing was over to hit me full force. And now I'm stoned out of my gourd on Sudafed. I know I posted about it last time I had to use the stuff, but let me just state again, I do not understand why anybody bothers making meth out of Sudafed when it fucks you up so much straight out of the box. One day it would be nice if they could make a cold medicine that didn't turn people into jittery lunatics.

On the bright side, no matter how loony this medicine makes me, I will always be saner than most of our clients. At least I have that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

That is awesome! I never associated us with Betty Boop until now! Do you think we can get away with one of our graphic designers putting something vaguely Boop-like into a BW uniform for a girls logo? Or would that infringe on something?

And not all of us get messed up on Sudafed. It just dries me out. I can't even tell I'm on anything. Hope you're feeling better soon though.

4/04/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Ugh, I can't STAND Betty Boop. Please don't. I don't want Betty Boop on my jersey. You could possibly get everyone to wear a Betty Boop charm necklace during races or something though. I'm sure you could get everyone on board with something like this if you tried.

4/04/2006 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would almost assuredly infringe. According to this , copyright would be 95 years after the copyright was secured. Betty was first published around 1930, so you've got another 20 years or so to wait.

Either that, or you can ask the owner for permission. They are a nice corporation. I'm sure they would allow you to do whatever you wanted.. or.. something...

4/05/2006 12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the "Betty Boops" would be cool! The royalty for the 20th Century Bicycle Betty logo on the uniforms would probably be minimal, and, instead of "Ready, set, GO!" you could start all your races with "Boopie-doobie-doobie do-boop a-DOOP, GO!" instead!!

4/05/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Oh dear lord. Dad, was that really you? I'm going to start making everyone get an actual blogger profile so that no one can try to impersonate my family... oh wait, there's that CV proving the international expertdom. Damn. You people can never again wonder how I turned out so weird.

4/05/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Strats said...

Sorry Betty A...I had to follow suit since I too have not gotten permission to use real names...I hate it when people do that. But feel free to use my first name...and if I cut you off in a race or something (while you're lapping me), feel free to call me anything you want!

4/05/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I don't care if you call us that, it just seems that while it worked with a limited number of people in Texas, now that we're back it might get a little unwieldy. Consider: on our team we have me, Alix, Alissa, Amy, Amanda, and Allison, and that's just off the top of my head, there might be more. Who gets to be Betty A? I think I'm going to change Bella P's name to Penelope, since she has the misfortune to share her actual first name with one of my teammates. You hear that, Penelope? You have 48 hours to veto, and then you're stuck!

4/06/2006 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home