2.21.2006

this just in: gym membership encourages antisocial tendencies

This morning I went to BodyPump class, and I must say I was quite relieved to see that it was back to pre-January attendance. For some reason the resolutioners held out longer there than they did in Spinning classes or on the treadmills. Anyway, they were finally gone, so there was literally twice as much space available as there was a month ago.

This must not have been obvious to everyone.

I set up my bench and went back into the storeroom to get my weights, and when I came back, some lady had set up her bench so that it was actually touching mine, end to end. I figured I could work with this, so I didn't say anything, but then she insisted on doing stuff sideways so that when it was time to do pushups, her FEET were in MY SPACE. Specifically, my FACE's space. Jeez.

When I left there was frozen vomit on the sidewalk outside. Now, I'm all in favor of tough workouts, but if you have to go outside and blow chunks when you're done, you might want to back off. Just sayin'.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

maybe she thought you were haut!

2/21/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger annie said...

and thought that putting her smelly feet in my face was a good pickup strategy?

2/21/2006 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be an aerobics instructor and I always thought it was funny how the group swelled after New Year's and then trailed off after that. But it usually stabilized by March or so and stayed about the same until Thanksgiving. Then attendance fell off the cliff until New Year's rolled around again.

2/21/2006 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a boss that went to body pump and claimed it was the hardest thing ever. This was a 6'3" 260lb former bodybuilder. we started making fun of him and calling it Vag Pump.

I guess it's harder than it sounds if people are puking.

but yeah, that's one of the reasons I like riding my bike so much better.

2/21/2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Ha! Body pump is not the "hardest thing ever," but if your bodybuilder boss didn't realize that high reps require lower weight than low reps, it might have been! The first time I went I was like "whatever, I already lift weights, this'll be easy" and used the same amount of weight as I do for normal-style weight lifting, and then I couldn't move for a week.

But lots of men go, mostly endurance athlete types who prefer the high-reps-low-weight thing rather than the "normal" 8-10 reps at high weight way. So it's not "vag pump" (and aren't you a nice guy, andy) but if your boss thought it was the "hardest thing ever" he was probably doing it wrong. Dumbass.

Oh, and the puke was pretty well frozen by the time I got out there, so I don't think it was from body pump. Somebody probably got a little carried away on the treadmill or something. Also a dumbass.

2/21/2006 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several of the athletes that I coach also have this weird thing with not considering a workout "good" unless you puke afterwards.

It's quite disturbing, especially when halfway through a workout they tell me to "go get the trashcan, quick!"

2/21/2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...attendance in my class was about half last night what it has been since the new year. (It's been freaking PACKED since the new year. Can't even do squat-kicks because people were hitting each other.) But then it was about 50 degrees outside here, and I probably would have stayed outside too if I'd had the option.
I'm just ready for bike season to begin again so the freakin bikers will quit nagging us for more spin classes. Damn bikers. ;P

2/23/2006 7:16 AM  
Blogger annie said...

50 degrees and they still go to spin class? What kind of lamewads go to your gym, anyway? I would pay money for 50 degree weather. Wait, I'm going to. Tee hee.

2/23/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home