3.03.2006

night rider

Last night I rode with Gilby and Andy, as mentioned, while those crazy runner people were doing their crazy running thing, and you don't have to think too hard to figure out who had the better time. Plus I discovered that night riding is much better for the yellow bike than daylight riding is, because I can't see my speedometer, and I can't really see the surrounding stuff go by either, so it's essentially impossible to gauge my speed. This is good for the yellow bike because the yellow bike goes much slower than expected for any given effort. Much slower.

Andy hadn't actually seen the yellow bike in person before, so of course the first thing he did was pick it up to see if all my bitchery had been exaggerated. (Come on, people, would I lie to you?) "Holy shit," he said, then stared at the yellow bike, perplexed, for a long time. Gilby couldn't pass that up, so she picked it up too and was equally perplexed. I should take my bike to some high-school physics class somewhere and see if they can figure out how that much weight can be packed into a 50-cm frame. It's a mystery.

Anyway, I never found out what the average speed was because when I got back to my garage, my computer claimed that I had ridden 72.33 miles. Which, if true, would put the average speed around 50mph. So who knows. I did attempt to reset it before we left, but I guess it didn't work, and since it was dark I didn't know that. Probably for the better. You know that thing about all cats being gray in the dark... well, all Calois are Madones in the dark, I guess. I'd rather not be disabused of my illusions.

Gilby already blogged the highlight of the evening, which was when Andy managed to pee, while riding, with a skinsuit on. He was very proud of himself. Given that he did this while riding across the Highway 55 bridge, I imagine at least 60 or 70 passers-by are also proud of him. Way to go, Andy.


EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is one place where the darkness does not turn the Caloi into a Madone, and that is Ramsey Hill. No amount of blackness can accomplish that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tim Jackson said...

Did Andy manage to pee OUT of the skinsuit or IN the skinsuit while riding. I can pee IN my skinsuit with the best of them...

3/03/2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Tim, we're all proud of you too. But I believe Andy peed out of the skinsuit. It's a little cold for wet skinsuits this time of year, and I didn't smell anything. Plus Gilby kindly badgered him into explaining exactly how he managed this, in great detail, so I'm fairly confident that the skinsuit escaped unsoiled. You'll have to ask Andy, though.

3/03/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger Sascha said...

I'm fairly confident that the skinsuit escaped unsoiled

Which is more than you can say for the cars next to the Hwy 55 bike bridge!

3/04/2006 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're into suicidal behavior, may I call your attention to ...

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/rocketbicycle/rocketbicycle.htm

He was doing 88 kph when he wiped out. Be sure you keep that job, which has good insurance.

Dad

3/06/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Caloi, I keep forgetting you were a little late to the party. Check out this post, this post, this post, this post, and this post for the full history of all my bikes. The yellow Caloi is just the winter bike.

Also this post, just because I like it.

And Dad, could you please learn how to do html links, because when you post them like that they get cut off and I will never learn who it is that wiped out at 88kph. Although I did some math and found out that 88 kph is the same as 54 and a half mph, which is pretty fast. The fastest I ever went was 46.

3/06/2006 12:00 PM  
Blogger annie said...

For the rest of you, here is what Dad was trying to link to. Dad, I see now that you left out an important piece of information, which is the part that says "He was not seriously injured." (See, guys, didn't I warn you? Minus the "gol-durn," that is pretty much exactly what I said he would say...)

3/06/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger annie said...

It wasn't a Tarmac I wanted, it was a Roubaix. And $1700 for a frameset alone was way beyond my budget at that time. Remember this was an emergency situation, not something I had time to save for. I ended up getting a Salsa Campeon, and I love it. Although mine is not blue, that's an '06 color. Mine's the black and white from '05.

3/06/2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I though the rocket-powerd bicycle was funny, though the steam one is pretty good too.

And, for the record, the url is all there. Just highlight what you see, copy with control-C, paste in the addres bar with control-V,and you're there.

3/07/2006 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home