8.26.2005

woodbury sucks

Our office is moving early next week, Tuesday or Wednesday, to a nicer building that unfortunately happens to be way the *&#% out in the middle of crappy Woodbury. I already work in crappy Woodbury, but we're moving to crappier Woodbury. I'm not sure I'll be able to ride my bike to work any more. There are no streets that actually lead anywhere, just four-lane psycho killer highway things and subdivision roads that all end in cul-de-sacs. Unless I want to be killed by road-raging Hummers on their way to Starbucks, I'm screwed. Seriously, go to maps.google and look up Woodbury, MN. There really aren't any roads.

I could start a long harangue on suburban planning and how it's ruining the world, but I'm leaving in two minutes.

Watching a business pack up to move out of a building it's inhabited for years is pretty good entertainment. Especially when everybody just got going today -- now people are discovering just how many things have not been thought through. One of the attorneys just came in here wanting to know if I had any Ziploc bags for him to put his paperclips in. That's right, folks, we're packing the paperclips. And no, I didn't have any Ziploc bags for him.

On Tuesday, after the Birchwood women's ride, I was sitting at a table in the Birchwood having lemonade with some of the other women, and somehow the topic turned to Woodbury. (I didn't start it.) One girl said "If I had to pick the worst place in the world to live, it would probably be Woodbury, Minnesota." You know, I've been thinking that ever since I started working out here. People actually got excited when a new Ruby Tuesday's opened in Cottage Grove. And they talk about Applebee's like it's some kind of fancy restaurant. You couldn't pay me to eat at Applebee's. Granted, it's not as bad as the exurban types that are actually afraid to venture into Minneapolis because it's "too dangerous," but come on, people, why on God's green earth would it ever seem like a good idea to live in a place where Ruby Tuesday's is exciting? Crikey.

In other news, I'm chopping off my hair tonight. Those who know and love the shoulder-length mousy mess, it is time to let go and move on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frostbike said...

Eagan sucks too, as far as restauraunts go. We have all the chains, not much else. But I will admit we've got some decent bike paths for the 'burbs. One redeeming feature of living here.

8/28/2005 10:30 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

What about Grand India? And El Loro? J. Doolittle's, even? I know they're a chain, now, and they could use a better beer selection, as I tell them every time I go there, but... Picollo's Pizza?

Not that I'm some Eagan apologist or something - I live in St Paul for a reason. :)

Peace!

8/30/2005 3:08 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Eagan is better than Woodbury. At least there are rideable roads there.

9/02/2005 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home