8.22.2005

of motes and neighbors' eyes.....

Congrats to Pete for getting his letter to the editor published in the Pioneer Press on Sunday!

Speaking of bikes and stop signs:

This Saturday I had just ridden up the high bridge and turned left to go down Cherokee/Ohio to Lilydale Road. When I came up to the intersection of Cherokee and Ohio, I slowed to a near-stop, checked for traffic, and when I saw that there wasn't any I went ahead and made my left turn without making a complete stop. As I went, this old fart on a hybrid bike hollered "Whoa! Stop sign!" at me. Given that most cars' "rolling stops" are faster than mine, I figured for all practical purposes I had stopped. Stupid old fart.

So about a quarter mile later, at the bottom of Ohio, I hit an intersection with actual traffic, so I stopped for real: unclipped, put my foot down, the whole deal. As I was coming to this stop, the old fart (who was apparently following me) bellowed "WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!" at me. Once my foot was down he said "There you go," as if it were only his WHOA that had caused me to stop, rather than the oncoming traffic. Uh, thanks, Grandpa. Good thing you were there.

THEN, the best part: he made his right turn onto that road (is that Plato? I don't even know) WITHOUT STOPPING.

Maybe Joe Soucheray bought himself a bike this weekend.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, that's too funny! So you are one of those pain-loving freaks who ride up and down Ohio that I see so frequently. This morning too I was sitting at the bus stop on my way to work and saw the same two riders pass by twice. At the stopsign one said to the other, "So let's go around one more time and do that same hill again." The other one nodded and they were off. Super freaks! Just out of curiosity, what is your average speed from bottom to top on the Ohio hill? Well, I guess I see most people ride up Ohio to the first right turn, then go up the hill toward the high bridge. haha, I did that once.

8/23/2005 8:58 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Yeah, I'm one of those. That's not what I was doing on Saturday, but I do repeats there. Usually I go down to the bottom of Ohio, then back up to the top of the high bridge, down the bridge, then back up, so I alternate between going up the high bridge and Ohio. I don't know what speed I go on Ohio. I can't see my speedometer very well when my eyeballs are bleeding. ;-) I'll check sometime though.

8/23/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger sasquatch said...

There's no escaping the safety patrol.

You should hear Juancho when he starts preaching about the importance of helmets. I tell him my skull's doing a fine job protecting my brain, but he just drones on and on.

8/23/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger annie said...

I have a helmet you can borrow, S'quatch. It looks like a hard-boiled egg that's been dropped on the floor. My head does not look like that. That must be a coincidence, though..... *big shit-eating grin*

8/23/2005 10:06 AM  
Blogger sasquatch said...

That's a picture worth a hard thousand words. Damn. Every bike shop should have a seriously smashed up helmet on the wall with a picture of a smiling, intact person underneath.

8/24/2005 9:10 PM  
Blogger Tim Jackson said...

I'm fairly sure that one of my sister's first newspaper jobs after college was writing for the Pioneer Press... "it's a small world after all..."

8/31/2005 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home