3.15.2006

shift this

Well, we found a shop in Kerrville that had an ancient Dura-Ace shifter that they're willing to loan me for the week, but after a lengthy inspection we ultimately just went with the Tim method. Tim, if I can't shift tomorrow, it is now your ass on the line. But that Dura-Ace shifter is still there if I need it. Apparently they have loaned this poor old shifter out to many Hell Weekers in the past, so I am not the first one to have this problem. And I will still be in the market for a new set of shifters when I get back, but hopefully the Tim Method will keep it running for the next 200-250 miles. If it'll go until the next paycheck I may just switch the whole damn thing to 10-speed and get with the 21st century already.


Then we went to Buzzie's Bar-B-Q for lunch. That's a picture of it up there. No tourists there, baby. Buzzie's is a dirty old shack with picnic tables inside, Heimlich maneuver instructions posted on the walls, and about five options on the menu. And if you asked for lemonade, boy did you get lemonade. They only have one size cup there and that is LARGE. It is three hours later now and Scott is still working on his. I think the boys are still digesting their all-you-can-eat ribs, too. Sascha and I practically had to roll them out of there.

Now we're all comatose in the motel room. We take our rest days very seriously here. Although I did take some time to clean my bike, since I had sweated so much sunscreen onto it that my entire top tube had developed a greasy film. Gross, huh?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim Jackson said...

Have you tested the Tim Method yet? Did it unfreeze enough to at least shift yet? I'm getting used to my advice getting me in trouble, but maybe you should ride it around the parking lot and shift a few times after the BBQ coma wears off...

I'm just sayin'...

3/15/2006 4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shifting problem:

Throw a downtube shifter on - doesn't matter how many gears, shift it in friction.

Don't go 10 speed. Have you seen the prices on the cassettes. Just slap some 105 levers on. $140 from Gnashbar.

3/16/2006 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come to think of it, Annie....

"anonymous" has a point. What gearing does the yellow bike have? If it's 9 sp, I would say stick to that and just get a replacement rear 9 speed lever (or set).

I wouldn't say downtube shifters are more than just a temporary option for anything you plan to race on.

3/16/2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Downtube shifters, HA HA HA HA FUNNY. But thanks.

The yellow bike has an 8 speed triple. What does the yellow bike have to do with anything? I'm confused...

3/16/2006 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because, if possible, keeping all the bikes you own that have interchangeable wheels (e.g 700c, so road and cx bikes) on the same type of components is convenient, so that you can swap shifters/wheels/etc if needed.

In that case, if the yellow bike is 8 speed (and as such, not interchangeable with the Salsa's 9 speed stuff), I would just bite the bullet and go to 10 on the salsa.

3/17/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger annie said...

OK Tim, I see in my statcounter that you have checked my blog nine times today, so I will put your mind at ease. The Tim Method seems to have worked well enough to get me through until I can afford new ones, but it's still not as crisp as it should be. But I haven't gotten stuck again, so way to go.

That makes sense, Andy. I was afraid you were suggesting that I put the yellow bike's shifters on the Salsa, which is nearly as laughable as downtube shifters. I have gotten dropped going downhill on the yellow bike because the damn thing wouldn't shift. I was rather hoping those days were behind me.

3/17/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger Tim Jackson said...

Fwew!

Now I can sleep tonight without worrying you will be on a flite to San Diego to kick my ass...

3/17/2006 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home