10.31.2005

land speed record

Well, this ain't gonna get filed under race reports, but I guess that's what it is anyway. My race report goes like this: I ran a race.

Yeah, ran. Well, kind of. Sedately trotted, perhaps. But I figure, I've run exactly 3 times in the past year, and 2 of those 3 were social jaunts around Lake Calhoun at a barely-above-walking pace, so it is probably an accomplishment to run an entire 5k without stopping. Besides, I have nothing else to blog about.

Anyway, the race in question was the Great Pumpkin Chase. It was in Lake Elmo, otherwise known as BFE, otherwise known as 5 minutes closer to my house than my office is. There was a 10k and a 5k, and it being the weekend before Halloween, participants included a cheerleader and a Ninja Turtle. I have no imagination. I looked like this:


(Running is not particularly flattering to anyone -- see the rest of the pictures at SkinnySki -- but at least my face did not flap around as much as Olympic sprinters in slow motion.)

Results are here. Find me yerself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Jackson said...

How's that healthy pink cervix?

Running is for people who can't find their bike. Why let a run ruin a perfectly good opportunity to go for a ride?

10/31/2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I think it's okay. I haven't checked it lately....

There was another cyclist there too, a friend of mine who was a teammmate until I officially joined my new team a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see her even though I was running right behind her for the first 5 minutes or so! It was funny when I saw her name in the results and asked her if she'd been there. Anyway, my point is, other cyclists occasionally try and run; we just don't train for it. I don't know if you actually looked for me in the results, but I'll give you a clue, it wasn't very near the top. BUT, I beat my friend by 4 minutes! Now I don't know what my point is anymore. I guess it's that it's okay for cyclists to run as long as we're ostentatiously bad at it and refuse to do anything to improve. How's that?

11/02/2005 7:33 PM  
Blogger Tim Jackson said...

Well, I'll consider forgiving you. I'm still trying to get over the whole "running" part of the running. I run about a block and I'm hobbled for days. Track sprinters make some of the worst runners you can imagine. At 210 pounds, I am the definition of "thunder thighs"...

11/03/2005 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home