7.22.2005

get thee out, satan

Through a long, strange chain of internet surfing, I recently found myself reading the blogs of Christian housewives. These are not your ordinary, garden-variety Christians; these are the women that firmly believe that because they are female, it is a sin to have a job. (I kind of wish it was a sin for me to have a job, actually. As it is, not having a job would make me "lazy," not "godly." Maybe I'll convert.) Anyway, the blog that drew me in the most was one called Biblical Womanhood, which is presently engaged in a roaring debate over whether the author is "acting independently of her husband" or not. The author is all in a tizzy about being accused of such a horrible thing, and is desperately seeking as many opinions as she can of whether people have seen her thinking or acting for herself, because she certainly has not meant to do so!

"I really want to know if you see that I am acting independently from my husband. And to the anonymous commenter, I would SO appreciate it if you would email me privately and share with me how you have specifically seen me getting off-course and acting independently of my husband. I know it is so easy to do and I am ever trying to keep my eyes focused on Christ and the role that God has given me as wife and mother."

If any of you are worried, fear not, she did get a lot of responses reassuring her that there is no evidence of any independent thought going on. Whew.

Another anonymous commenter, clearly intending to hold herself up as an example of how to be, posted this: "As you completely submit to God's leading through him, God can change his heart. This is the beauty of submission--we are no longer trying to push our will upon our husbands, but we are at peace to allow God to work through them." Thank you for not suggesting, as some Christian women do, that this is one area in which we should not submit. I whole-heartedly believe that we are to trust our husbands leadership...even if he should desire to limit the family size. In our case, my husband chose to have a vasectomy after our second child was born. As he drove to his appointment on that particular day, I prayed that the Lord might change his heart and prevent him from going through with it. But, that was not the case. I have not been bitter or angry with my husband for it. We are a joyful, fun-loving family...and it may always just be the four of us. I will be thankful for the two precious, healthy children that we are training up. Perhaps someday my husband's heart will change. Or, perhaps we will have a "surprise" pregnancy! I've heard of this happening! So, thanks again, for affirming those of us who choose submission, even when we're not sure of our husband's decisions.
-Anonymous

There is also a lengthy discussion of whether blogging is an appropriate activity for Christian women, since it's time spent selfishly which may "allow Satan to creep in the cracks." Whoops. Hey there, Satan. Guess you and I are pretty cozy, since not only do I have a job, I have a blog. And I make my own decisions. Oh, and I'm not married, but if my husband were to do something that I thought to be a terrible mistake, I think I'd let him know rather than praying for God to stop him. I haven't seen too many burning bushes lately, so I'm thinking divine intervention may have gone out of style a little while ago.

I suppose I'm being offensive and should stop writing this post, but geez. Does this disturb anyone else? These are the same people who seem to believe that all Iraqis secretly want to be "liberated" even though appearances suggest otherwise. If they're so into liberation, could they start at home, perhaps? Holy crap.

All right, I'll stop now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

She's "training up" her children, eh? That's a scary way to look at parenting.

7/22/2005 11:11 AM  
Blogger annie said...

dude, nathan, what the hell is bikejoring? dogs pulling a bike or a bike pulling a skier? sounds like you'd need a lot of beer in either case.

7/22/2005 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's disturbing also. There are "literalists" in every religion who believe their interpretation of the sacred guidance is the only way to view things. It's very difficult to see the overall picture of life and the truth when a person is focused on establishing concrete laws. I met a mother once who was kicked out of her community because she got pregnant out of wedlock, even though there were no consequences for the father. In that circumstance what a mother needs is more support, not being condemned because of her 'sin' and then left to fend for herself. That kind of attitude is rampant in the funda-'mental' camps. They throw out the love for the rule book.
Many of these same fundamentalists are intolerant of other religions, so it's easy to justify treating Muslims horribly. (Or gays or any other person who represents something outside of their belief system)
It is sad to me how people like this can believe they are so close to the truth, yet be so far away.

Hey, nice blog! I just came here from a link on http://suigeneris1.blogspot.com/

John

7/22/2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Bikejoring is dogs pulling bikes and it's a lot of fun, especially for the dog. I haven't done it as much as I was hoping to, but I get out once in a while. The equipment is good for hooking the dog up to a sled or pedal car, too, which definitely increases the fun-factor for the kids.

FundaMENTALists - I like it, John.

7/23/2005 8:24 PM  
Blogger annie said...

not with my dog! i'd be killed in a second!

i am truly astonished at the number of people that have linked to me in less than a month, by the way. i seem to have been sucked into this great minneapolis bike-blog vortex. it's kind of scary! ;-)

7/24/2005 9:25 PM  
Blogger Sui Generis said...

It's all good, Annie. Welcome to the fold. Just wanted to add that, as a Christian couple, I'm very glad that my wife has her own ideas and opinions that differ from mine. She is sure to let me know if she thinks I'm doing something stupid! I'm also really glad she has a job.

7/25/2005 7:45 AM  
Blogger annie said...

right. i hope i made it clear that i am not frightened of all christians, just these. i'm glad to hear you're the normal kind. ;-)

7/25/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger annie said...

hey, i know nobody is reading this post anymore, but i just discovered where "training up" children comes from... it's a phrase from the BIBLE!! who knew? from another of the housewife blogs: "We began, for the first time to trust in God's words found in Proverbs 22:6 (NAS), that if we "train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."

8/04/2005 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home