8.01.2005

money for nothin', sin for free.....

All right, I'm a loser. I have to admit I'm still reading the Christian housewife blogs. Today I found out that ABC (yeah, the TV station) is harassing a large number of these women, trying to get them to go on their reality show Wife Swap. Apparently they are desperately looking for a fundamentalist, homeschooling family. One of these women posted a remark about this experience, and as of the time that I'm writing this, her post has spawned a discussion to the tune of 43 comments, mostly from other homeschooling fundie housewives. Seriously, go read it. The ABC producers have called a LOT of them. Then, when that didn't work, one of the ABC people hopped into the discussion and posted a comment, which the housewives then made fun of ceaselessly.

I don't know if I have any fundie housewife readers -- I doubt it, but then again, they probably wouldn't think I would read their blogs either -- but you gals out there, there's a load of cash in this for you. If you're not too wrapped up in the whole "earning money is a sin" philosophy, they pay each family $20,000. I'll make it even easier for ya. Here's the application to be on the show. That goes for my heathen readers too, which I expect I have a lot more of. They have to have families to send the fundies TO, after all. You do have to list your psychiatric conditions and all your prescriptions, but, y'know......

Ah, entertainment.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did being a fundie become a bad thing? I can't think of anything worse than not knowing what I believe in.

8/02/2005 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows what they believe in. It's a choice every day of our lives. Sometimes 'fundies' in various religions take many of their teachings literally and take more delight in following their rules and imposing them on others instead of letting love and respect for others guide their hearts. In the name of our view of our religion (the God of our own creation) we can blow up buildings and drag gay people through the fields and tie them up to posts to die. Not every 'fundie' acts that way, but harbor hatred in their heart for anyone outside of their rigid beliefs. Many of those beliefs are cultural, based on their local teachings and teachers, not on the fundamental equality of every human being. We could say the KKK are 'fundies' also. They definately know what they believe. Whenever we stop respecting and loving each other as human beings, regardless of our doctrines, we lose sight of God.
John

8/02/2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I only use the term to differentiate them from regular christians who use the bible for moral guidance, not absolute rules. While I've never met a fundie that didn't piss me off (mainly because they want to tell me how wrong everything I think and/or do is and I've never taken well to that sort of thing), my interest in the housewife blogs has morphed from making fun of them to almost an anthropological interest. It's this whole little bizarre community, these women (YOUNG women, my age) who choose to be house-bound and subservient, and use the internet as a tool to communicate tips for how to become MORE committed to being housebound and subservient. It's almost as perverse as the "pro-ana" websites that caused such a huge scandal a couple years ago when the media discovered that anorexics all across the country were giving each other starvation tips. And yet the longer I read them, the less focused I am on how perverse it seems from my perspective. I like spying on random people - I did major in anthro, after all - and gradually I'm figuring out a little more about how they think and what cultural rules govern them. It's quite fascinating.

8/03/2005 4:11 PM  
Blogger sasquatch said...

Don't you think it might be difficult to be a fundie named "Brandy"?

8/11/2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger annie said...

dunno, but I knew one once. A Pentecostal, actually. Brandy the Pentecostal. She wore those ridiculous floor-length jean skirts.

8/11/2005 11:23 AM  
Blogger sasquatch said...

Yeah, "Brandy" is the most conservative voice in "Spunky's" comment corps. She scared me a little.

8/11/2005 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home